Saturday, March 15, 2008

grocery bills

do you keep an acurate account of the money you spend on groceries?
i have been keeping and adding up grocery reciepts for 5 years!, but as of nov two years ago i started breaking down the reciepts to account seperatly for food verses household items.. now i have an accurate picture of money spent on food alone.
we eat all meals at home, including packing lunches(save maybe 3 meals a month, if that!)
check out this site to see what americans spent on food in january- you can add up the members of you family to see where you are! there are 4 levels of eating, thrifty-low cost-moderate-and liberal
the goal is to be UNDER , yes under the thrifty plan!
here's me-
thrifty plan- 728.30$ (me, DH, 2 6-8 year olds, 1 1 year old , and 1 2-3 year old)
what I spent in jan- 585 $
:)
what is even better is in feb i only spent 475$ !

and just so you know we eat well. lots of organic, little processed. we eat meat, but not at every meal. i meal plan and make a menu one time a month. i then shop at heb one time per month, costco 1 time per month, whole foods 1-2 times per month and sunharvest 1-3 times (depending on sales.
shopping at multiple stores is one of the tightwad gazette's biggest tips!!!
my biggest tip is shopping monthly!

4 comments:

Birthblessed said...

Very cool new site, let's make it big and useful.

I also keep track of my budget, and I break mine down by meat-milk-cheese-egg and fresh fruits and veggies, and then "everything else" that we eat. I spent about $535 in February for a family of 9. I go to the store every 3-5 days, and I vary between Sam's (once a month, generally), HEB, Sun Harvest. I almost never go to Whole Paycheck, I mean Whole Foods. I'll go to Sun Harvest more often now that I have my HEV.

I'd like to find a way to co-op or share errands, and thus save time and gasoline.

Liz said...

535 is very impressive!
whole foods is usually very expensive, but i buy their organic milk, white mountain yogurt, bags or organic potatoes, and bulk nutritional yeast, and organic popcorn. those things are all cheaper there. if you stick to your list you can make out good--
whole foods makes 80% of their income from IMPULSE buys! can you believe that!? that number is staggering!

Jennifer said...

Liz -
love this new site! I went and compared us, and we are living below thrifty too, and I at least, think we eat well. I can't imagine what other families are doing to spend that kind of cash...
I have loved seeing your meal ideas and such. Thanks for sharing it!

HanM said...

I am below thrifty as well. Can't afford to NOT be thrifty. I spend 60.00/week on groceries and non-edibles (toilet paper, etc) for myself and my husband. I am browsing the web for any deals or tips!!
Can't afford most organics, but I do get the 'natural' meat and dairy. IS there a local co-op?